Weekly Word Count: 4750
Currently reading: Vampire Hunter D: Volume 1
Nothing like bad news and bad weather to get your writing going. With all the gloomy news both current and predicted, I have ample excuse to turn my back on reality and devote my thoughts to fictional worlds. At least, there, some of them have good judgement!
But, I don’t intend to use this blog post as a rant on current events. Instead, I intend to introduce you to my reviewing system. I’ve been re-reading Vampire Hunter D: Volume 1 and am about 30 pages away from the end. I was hoping to do a weekly review but I think I’ll have to make it fortnightly. There’s no way I can read a book through thoroughly and write a well-written review in a week.
But, I can give you my reviewing system: the CROWS system. For each book I review, I’ll be giving a mark out of 10 on:
- Are the characters interesting?
- Are the characters likeable/dislikeable in the right ways?
- Are the characters human? Do they make mistakes?
- Do the characters develop over the course of the book?
- Has the author done their research on:
- The setting and its culture
- The history (if applicable)
- The vampire genre/mythology
- Does the author add something new to the vampire genre?
- Does the author invert/defy narrative clichés?
- Does the author poke fun at the clichés?
- Is the world an interesting one?
- Is it a believable one?
- How detailed is it?
- Is the story enjoyable?
- Does it have the right tone/pace?
- Does it hold your interest throughout?
- Is it just a good novel in general?
When that’s done, I’ll total up the score, double it up (for ease of calculations) and give the book a blood group like so:
O Positive: 0-30
A Positive: 30-40
B Positive: 40-50
O Negative: 50-60
A Negative: 60-70
AB Positive: 70-80
B Negative: 80-90
AB Negative: 90-100
No offence to anyone with O Positive, A Positive or B Positive blood. I don’t mean by that scoring system that those blood types are inferior, just that they’re very common and bad vampire fiction is sadly common and only 1 in a hundred vampire novels are really good, which is about the same odds of a person having AB Negative blood.
While I’m reviewing, feel free to suggest a book you think I would like or you would like to see reviewed.