- Well-developed main characters – I love Vin in particular – and a well-developed world.
- Only too easy to slip back into the world after a long break, even if the story is a little complex and I can’t remember who half these characters are.
- Never allowed to get too complacent – always another twist just over the page
- Difficult to convince people that a new system might be better – very realistic
- Elend really undergoes a transformation in this book and so does Vin. I love them both.
- Really glad they didn’t make an Elend-Vin-Zane love triangle. I hate love triangles.
- Foretellings and prophecies are nicely dismantled and played with in this book. What a twist on the usual fulfilment of prophecy trope.
- Unpleasantness-artist, Straff, really had it coming. Love the way he ended!
- Love the fact that the author put a recap for the last book and a guide to the magic system at the back. It’s nice when an author realises that it might have been a while since the readers read the last one. Bring on the next one!