- Published in 2016 by Delacorte Press
- Format: Audiobook
- Narrated by Bahni Turpin, Raymond Lee and Dominic Hoffman
- Listening Speed: 1.5x (long romantic encounters aren’t my thing)
- Listening time: 3 cute days
- So, this is another reading challenge book. The end is in sight and I only have three books to go. I’ve read fairly mixed reviews about this one and I don’t normally go for romance but I loved Bahni Turpin’s performance in The Hate U Give so let’s hope this step outside my comfort zone is a good one.
- Well developed characters. Not even the strict parents are allowed to be one dimensional hate figures and the little interludes on how each background character got where they are and where they go next are a brilliant touch. I must admit, I got ridiculously attached to Irene and to Hannah’s mug.
- Extremely long romantic scenes which really aren’t my cup of tea. They just dodge being cheesy but I rather have the feeling that the author was trying to win a bet against someone who said you can’t make physics romantic and so threw every concept into a love scene to prove then wrong.
- Extreme moments of dramatic irony keep the suspense up, especially when the two are unknowingly going on the same subway line but in opposite directions! The author knows how to keep a reader interested.
- Tied up in a way that, while not a fairytale, is happy in its own way. The ending was satisfyingly sweet and, while it’s not by any means in the top ten, this book was pretty good all in all.
Goodreads Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️