- Published in 2019 by Riverhead Books
- Format: Audiobook
- Narrator: Dion Graham
- Listening Speed: 1x
- Listening time: 2 disturbing days (before DNFing at 4%)
- Now to take on another Go Big or Go Home book. I’ve heard fairly mixed reviews about this one so I hope I find it okay.
- Ominous beginning. The story is told in retrospect and, as far as I can determine, by a violent prisoner not above killing to make a point telling the story of how he got there to an interrogator. Some of it has the feeling of a fairytale and the voice of the audiobook narrator creates a good atmosphere. That said, I am failing to follow the story very well. It seems to be going off on a lot of tangents.
- Perturbed by some grotesque imagery. In particular, the notions around cutting away the man from the woman and the woman from the man turn the stomach. There’s a disturbing focus on ‘being a man’ too.
- Entirely convinced that this book isn’t for me and I don’t have the time or the patience to give this more attention than I’ve already given it. So, I’m sorry but DNFing at 4% and returning the audiobook. That’s two DNFed books on the same challenge. That’s a little worrying.
Goodreads Rating: None – I didn’t feel I had got far enough to warrant giving it a rating.
Did you agree with my rating? Can you think of a better word to describe it? Please let me know with a like, share or comment.