It’s my first reading challenge check-in of the year. I’m trying to be kinder to myself by taking on fewer and more flexible challenges. I know I’m not reading as much or as obsessively as I used to. It’s early days yet to say whether that’s paying off or not but I supposed I am now writing every day so that’s a win.
Goodreads 2023 Reading Challenge
At the time of writing, I’m now 1 book ahead of schedule. Not bad and it’s fitting with the more forgiving routine I’m aiming for. But, despite that, I still feel a bit disappointed that I haven’t advanced further by now.
‘Be Sure’-Athon (hosted by the wild Sasha)
- Visit another world: A Gathering of Shadows by V. E. Schwab
- Animal Companion: The Tea Dragon Tapestry by Kay O’Neill
- Read a Wayward Children book: Lost in the Moment and Found by Shannon McGuire
- Wicked: Monstress Volume 7 by Marjorie Liu and Sana Takeda
- Audiobook: The Raven Tower by Anne Leckie
- Dreamy Cover: A Kind of Spark by Elle McNicoll
- Sea Creatures: And the Ocean Was Our Sky by Patrick Ness
- Portal Fantasy: A Mirror Mended by Alix E. Harrow
Okay, I did read these books out of order but who’s going to penalise me for it? It’s a good start to the year and it’s good to have a reading challenge under your belt from the start.
Bookforager’s Picture Prompt Book Bingo 2023
- Pistol: Gunslinger Girl by Lyndsey Ely
- Castle: The Smallest Man by Frances Quinn
- Tree: Through the Woods by Emily Carroll
- Skeleton: From Here to Eternity: Travelling the World to Find the Good Death by Caitlin Doughty
- Diver: The Island of Sea Women by Lisa See
- Books: That Way Madness Lies edited by Dahlia Adler
- Moon: Night Cry by Borja Gonzalez
I had to DNF one of my original choices simply because I didn’t like the audiobook narrator’s voice but I’m definitely liking my other choice so far and I’m making good progress indeed.
The 2023 Thoughtful Reading Challenge
- January – Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
I’m still lagging behind a bit on the February selection. It turned out to be a lot longer than expected and so it’s taking me a while. Oh well, I’ve read monthly challenges out of order before so I’ll have to be flexible on this one.
Beat the Backlist Reading Challenge
- Suki, Alone by Faith Erin Hicks and Peter Wartman
- Rules for Vampires by Alex Foulkes
I say I have 15 books planned for this but this challenge is fairly flexible so I’m not sure I can really give a total or a goal. This is just the amount of books from my announcement page. More will likely be added as time goes on but, for now, I’m not really fussed about my progress yet.
A bit of a slow start but that’s by the previous year’s standards. I need to readjust my thinking and be happy that I’m on track.
I hope to see you again very soon.
2 thoughts on “2023 Reading Challenge Check-In (1 out of 6)”
You’re making excellent progress, especially as it’s only the first quarter of the year! Bravo!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks so much 😊
LikeLiked by 1 person